The Disneyland Railroad #4 Ernest S. Marsh was named after Ernest Marsh, president of the Santa Fe Railway from 1957 to 1967. He was born in Lynchburg, Virginia on January 10, 1903. In 1918 he went to work for Santa Fe and worked his way through the ranks to replace Fred Gurley as President on April 1, 1957. He passed away on October 9, 1975 at the age of 72. He served as President from 1957 through 1966.
The engine was purchased by Disney in 1958 for about $2,000 and was converted to the 2-4-0 wheel arrangement that we all know and love today. It is a 36″ gauge with 28″ drivers and 9″ x 14″ cylinders and went into operation at Disneyland on July 25, 1959.
- 2-4-0 wheel arrangement, 36″ gauge, 28″ drivers and 9″ x 14″ cylinders
- Engineers run the engine at an average of 150 psi, the tender holds approximately 400 gallons of water and 175 gallons of modified #2 bio-diesel fuel
- Engine weighs approximately 23,700 pounds
- Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a 0-4-0 wheel arrangement, built in April 1925
- Originally purchased by the Raritan River Sand Company, New Jersey
- Baldwin construction number 58367
Fullerton Railroad Days 2013
Here’s a time-lapse video of the #4 Ernest S. Marsh being loaded onto a flatbed trailer after being on display at the 2013 Fullerton Railroad Days.